1886 - 1958
Kay Bojesen trained as a merchant until 1906. He then apprenticed as a silversmith at Georg Jensen silversmithy finishing in 1910. He went to Gmünd Württemberg and had further education at the silversmith School in Schwäb. From 1913 Bojesen was employed by goldsmith Oscar Frederik Dahl in Copenhagen. In 1919 Dahl sold the workshop to Bojesens father and Kay Bojesen became a partner of the workshop. In the first years Bojesen designed magnificent jewellery in the Art Nouveau style. He also designed the 1921 Christmas spoon for A. Michelsen.
After the world exhibition in Paris in 1925 Bojesen distanced himself from the Art Nouveau style and took on the functionalist design language. He closed down his workshop for a few years during. From 1930-1931 he was the artistic leader of Bing & Grøndahls factory. In 1932 he re-established his own workshop and started making hollowware in the functionalist style. He was a versatile designer and is the creator of many arts and crafts items as well as the world famous and exquisite wooden animals.
He was awarded several prices. And in 1951 he received the Grand Prix at the Milan Triennale for his flatware, subsequently named Grand Prix. He was awarded with the gold medal at the Triennale in 1954.