Karl Gustav Hansen
1914 - 2002
Karl Gustav Hansen trained as a silversmith in his fathers, Hans Hansen's, silversmithy in 1934. He was manager of the company's first shop in Copenhagen in 1932. Karl Gustav Hansen was further educated from 1935-1938 at the Art Academy as a sculptor by Professor Utzon-Frank. When his father died in 1940 he moved back to Kolding to run the silversmithy.
Karl Gustav Hansen’s design language was inspired by the Art Deco and the functionalist style of the time, making the silverware and jewellery very refined and elegant.
In 1962 he resigned as manager, but remained artistic consultant and designer until 1987. Karl Gustav Hansen has collaborated with artists including Henry Moore and Giacomo Manzu on smaller silver sculptures. He is represented in museums both in Denmark and abroad.
The company was bought by Georg Jensen A/S in 1992 and production in Kolding later closed.