Inger Eleonora Moeller
1886 - 1979
Inger Moeller started her training as a chaser at the Georg Jensen workshop in 1909 and after this education she became a silversmith apprentice. She finished her education in 1921. During that period she had travelled to both Paris and London in order to seek new inspiration.
Moeller opened her own workshop in Copenhagen in 1922.
Moeller’s style is very simply and functional. She dissociated herself from the characteristic Jensen style. She felt the hammered silver and Art Nouveau elements were going out of fashion. The shapes of Moeller’s hollowware were simple and smooth which made them ideal to press on a lathe. Moeller often had her hollowware pressed at other workshops after her designs and drawings and then processed and finished the works herself. Her decorative elements in both hollowware and jewellery were straight forward. Moeller’s jewellery was often made of long silver thread bent into style and with incorporated locks. Moeller worked alone in her workshop and primarily sold her works on order and at the sales exhibitions: Den Permanente and Haandarbejdets Fremme.
Moeller exhibited her jewellery at the Exposition Internationale des Arts décoratifs et Industriels Modernes in Paris in 1925. She was awarded with a silver medal for her work. Moeller won a gold medal at the World exhibition in Paris in 1937 and exhibited at the world exhibition in New York in 1939 at the Triennale in Milano in 1951 and 1957. She was also part of the travelling exhibition “Design in Scandinavia” in America in 1954-1957 and The Arts of Denmark, exhibited in New York in 1960. In honour of her 80th birthday Design Museum Denmark held a retrospective exhibition in 1966.
Moeller continued working and produced both hollowware and jewellery until 1966. Her works are represented in museums worldwide.