1931 - 2010
Hjørdis Haugaard was trained as a goldsmith at Frantz Hingelberg in Aarhus. She finished her apprenticeship with a silvermedal in 1954. From 1955-1957 she studied at the Guldsmedehøjskolen (Goldsmiths College) in Copenhagen. At the same time she worked for Georg Jensen. In 1957 she moved to Jutland and started working for Carl M. Cohrs Sølvvarefabrikker in Fredericia until 1962. In 1962 she established her own workshop in Kolding, in collaboration with her husband, goldsmith Svend Haugaard (b. 1933).
She participated in several exhibitions in Denmark, Germany, Finland and America.
One of her most famous designs is the sterling silver cultlery ”Trinita” designed in 1960 commissioned by Carl M. Cohr Sølvvarefabrik in connection with the company’s 100th anniversary.
She also designed silver for Wallace Silversmiths, Pennsylvania, USA in 1962.
She has designed both jewellery, flatware and hollowware.